Opening | Civil Engineer with Green Infrastructure Design Specialty
Context and Fit
Studio Sustena, an integrated, landscape architecture and civil engineering practice, is seeking a civil engineer with a passion for stormwater design to join our growing team. The ideal candidate will have a working knowledge of regional permitting processes and cross training in green infrastructure design.
Focused largely on campuses, urban-infill sites, and landscapes on structure (including green roofs), Studio Sustena champions an integrated approach to landscape architecture and civil engineering that boosts opportunities for distinctive placemaking and high-performance landscapes. We believe that blending these traditionally separate disciplines reduces scope overlaps and gaps; fuels the creative process; fosters enthusiasm around collaborative problem-solving; and frees up budget for the inclusion of high-value landscape design.
- Performance of the site-civil engineering scope in Philadelphia and surrounding municipalities.
- Engineering analyses in support of landscape and green infrastructure design, including but not limited to:
- Interpretation of zoning, municipal, and state codes.
- Existing site analysis, including vegetation and soil assessment.
- Spatial design, such as amenity space and pedestrian/vehicular movement. Experience with AutoTURN or similar program is a plus.
- Site design, including erosion & sediment control, grading, drainage, stormwater management, and utilities.
- Proficiency with AutoCAD LT or Civil 3D required. Experience with GIS and/or 3-D Visualization software is a plus.
- Stormwater calculations, including hydrologic modeling, with a focus on Green Stormwater Infrastructure (GSI).
- GSI system design and details, including weir, manifold, and water distribution design.
- Irrigation design.
- Media review/mix assessment. An understanding of soil science is a plus.
- Collaboration on all phases of site design to maximize the experiential and spatial value of required site infrastructure, to optimize the permitting process, and to enhance stormwater management.
- Assistance with the review and technical assessment of in-progress site construction; facilitation of communications among design consultants and contractors, and preparation of construction-phase documents.
- 4-6 years of experience preferred.
- Bachelors and/or master’s degree in civil engineering or related field.
- EIT Required, PE Preferred.
This position is an exempt (salaried) position with a competitive benefits package. Salary will be commensurate with experience. Studio Sustena is an equal opportunity employer; a diverse pool of applicants is sought. We are committed to growing and preserving an inclusive and engaged culture that welcomes and celebrates our differences. Interested candidates should email a cover letter, resume, and references to Sara Poindexter at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Studio Sustena
Studio Sustena (formerly called Roofmeadow) is an award-winning, WBE-certified landscape architecture and civil engineering firm based in Philadelphia, PA. We specialize in elegant, inventive landscapes for rooftops and ground-level settings. For 25 years, our multi-disciplinary staff has collaborated on concept design through long-term stewardship, resulting in an unparalleled understanding of lifecycle performance. We bring together proven technologies to solve project-specific technical challenges, while emphasizing beauty within socially dynamic, urban spaces.
Our office environment is open, collaborative, energetic, and dynamic. We value creativity and prioritize individual initiative and adaptive problem-solving skills as part of a small, supportive team. Our site-design portfolio includes institutional, academic, and mixed-use development projects. All Studio Sustena design staff benefit from ample, on-site, construction-review experience in addition to in-office project development.
- Entrepreneurial-minded, team oriented, small office working environment, with opportunities for advancement and growth.
- Flexible and hybrid schedules offered.
- A reduced work week is negotiable.
- Competitive benefits package, including health insurance, retirement, PTO, and holidays.
- Reimbursement for continuing education credits required for professional licensure.
- Dog-friendly office.